Saturday, July 4, 2009

July 4th—here and at home

July 4th is a day to celebrate as an American and in Rwanda. The US Embassy hosted an Independence Day barbecue lunch on the Embassy grounds—hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, potato salad, pasta salad, deserts, and the Marines sold soft drinks and beer. All Americans were welcome to attend (with appropriate identification); I was amazed at the number of US citizens in country, especially since I did not see many CDC folks in attendance. I wore my Red Sox hat, as did a few others there. No matter where I go, I can count on seeing the familiar red “B”--I guess the Red Sox Nation has gone international.

July 4th is also National Liberation Day in Rwanda, marking the end of the genocide in 1994. A news report last night stated that the day is for peace and reconciliation, and an all day event is taking place at the football (soccer) stadium. Yesterday, workers were painting the curbs along our road alternating black and white segments (there were no cones or detours to alert drivers to avoid the workers crouched on the edges, at least most were wearing bright green vests). Walking around our neighborhood, my flat-mate and I noted how quiet the streets are, presumably many people are attending the event.

But not everyone is at the stadium. I am presently sitting in the lobby of the Hotel Laico with an excellent view of the front lawn. When I walked up earlier I noticed a wedding was gathered and taking photographs with the garden backdrop. As they seemed to be moving out, another wedding seemed to be arriving. I think I'm watching now maybe party number 5 taking photographs in the evening sunlight. It's really quite spectacular to see so many sets of beautiful people, dressed to the nines (is that the right expression?), in their various selected color schemes. It looks like the process of posed wedding pictures (getting the right characters in the frame and looking great at the same moment) is just as strenuous as in the US, but apparently with the added pressure of the next wedding on your heels, waiting to replace the photographed with their own cast of characters in the beautiful backdrop.

One different feature is in the wedding transportation—cars carrying the wedding party have a large ribbon tied at one bumper and threaded through the doors, zig-zagging and tied in a bow at the back bumper. It's a pretty touch, though I can't imagine it's very easy to see out the windshield—and being able to see the many possible hazards while driving is critical to a safe arrival.

Better wrap up the post before the sun actually sets so I can walk myself home. Have a very happy 4th of July, for whatever reason you may be celebrating!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Taran,

    Glad you made it safely and I like your blog. Sounds like you had a pretty good 4th of July even without any fireworks!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete