Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Getting to Rwanda through food; A: Avocados and African Tea

I bought a salad from the cafeteria today because I have been flat-out craving fresh vegetables. I selected the most avocado laden plate I could find. The salad also contained cucumbers, tomatoes, and onions--ooh, I just realized those are the same main ingredients in my favorite veg sandwich, a COAT sandwich. The from scratch dressing was also fantastic, but really, I was in it for the avocado...
Avocados grow on trees here, and I guess everywhere. But this tree is on the side of the street right by my apartment building, and all it's buddies are hanging out producing avocados all day long. It's incredible. I've been told that they are considered poor people's food here because they are so widely available. I've watched kids climb trees in teams to harvest them. They can't even get them all--an avocado fell from a tree as I was walking up the drive to my building, practically throwing itself at me. It has hilarious and cracked me (and the building guards/ doormen) up.

If I remember correctly, the avocado incident took place right after I failed to secure my new favorite food--gasp! more favorite than avocado! than bacon!?!--okay my favorite beverage: African tea. The hotel was experiencing sporadic power outages, making it really difficult for the woman at the counter to heat the milk. Under normal electrical supply, I would have been presented the following:
Clearly, I couldn't even wait to down half of it before I took the picture. It's fantastic. I've been promised I will be shown me how to recreate it, which is pretty comical to those who already have mastered the art because, as they claim, it's just hot milk, ginger, and tea. I swear it cannot be that simple, but just as ardently they swear back, it is. You can add a little sugar if you want, but I love it any way I can get it. I likened it to Chai tea, and my colleague thought that was funny since chai apparently means tea in Swahili, so tea tea. This same super informative colleague/ friend was the one to clued me into the mystery of the cafeteria's disappearing African tea... Apparently they make just one large pot of day, and when the big blue thermos runs dry, that's it (until tomorrow). You can bet I'm there pretty much as soon as they open up. It's so good, kind of wish i had some now... Actually, I don't; I believe it was in part to blame for my insomnia the first week or so I was in country. Well that, and the fact that I was in fact in country and the adrenalin pushed me not to miss anything.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds fabulous! Is it spicy? From the ginger?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Tanya, it has a really strong ginger flavor--I think they use powdered rather than fresh, but I'm looking forward to learning how to make it myself and reinstating tea time at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am all for having tea time when you get back!

    ReplyDelete