Today marks 4 weeks in Rwanda, about 1/3 of the way through my time here. It's somewhat hard to believe that it has only been 4 weeks; in many ways it feels much longer in terms of how much I have been able to experience already. Of course, there is infinitely more to learn, and I look forward to making the most of the coming weeks.
However, at times, it can be very hard to be away from home and from those I love, and in particular to be away from the one person who I am privileged to share life and home with every day. I don't think either of us truly estimated the full impact of being apart for such an extended time, nor the challenge of the 6 hour time difference which causes disjointed daily routines.
A couple sayings--distance makes the heart grow fonder; what doesn't kill us makes us stronger--may add perspective, but it doesn't make it easier. I will stay positive and continue to take advantage of opportunities as they present themselves, but I also hold dear the promise of returning home.
Sunday, July 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It is so tough to be away from the one you love. The only thing I can offer is that when it is all done and you are back in Atlanta, the pain of being gone just disappears. Your mind will just forget it completely. Hang in there, both of you!
ReplyDeleteWas reminded at book club about your blog and just read it all! What a great adventure you are having. Being away is tough, but think of all of the new stories you'll have when you return... Keep on sharing... Jodi
ReplyDelete