Thursday, July 9, 2009

brilliant Rwandan snack foods: french toast & meatballs

The office has been on retreat for the past two days at a nice resort/hotel/conference center on a different hill in Kigali. Two of my favorite agenda items were coffee break in the morning and tea break in the afternoon. For both breaks, they had a selection of tea, African tea (which truly needs it's own blog or at least post considering what a role it's taking in my life these days), coffee and hot milk, and for both I got big mugs of African tea. At the morning break, there were beef filled samosas and apparently french toast, served as a finger food! Completely perfect little snack, yet I had never thought to eat it like that. In the afternoon, there were rolls, a small cube of doughnut like item, and meat balls, just dry and sitting there on the platter. At first I thought they were chocolate Munchkins--which would have been awesome, but luckily someone clued me in before i took a big beefy bite of what I thought to be delicious chocolate goodness.

Turns out, meatballs are a fantastic afternoon snack. Who knew? Rwandans knew.

4 comments:

  1. Have you read The #1 Ladies Detective Agency? Precious Ramotswe is ALL ABOUT African tea. She would love that additional blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rebecca I LOVE that book! Im all for meatballs - maybe you should introduce "chicken and waffles" to your friends there. Could they possibly understand the line for that here in Atlanta? :)
    big hug to you thelma!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do Rwandans know about bacon? Who better than you to teach them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recommendations Rebecca, and second Di. I have heard about that book (and it's a movie too now right?), but haven't read/seen it yet. I'll keep an eye out for it. Lo, I'm also looking out for bacon; reportedly it is carried at the German butcher shop, but I haven't seen it yet. It's def not widespread. I might be in withdrawal had we not hosted an awesome BLT party a week before setting out... the situation is deteriorating though surely.

    ReplyDelete