Sunday, November 7, 2010

Tasty Treats

We traveled to two villages today. At the first village, when I returned from field sampling, I found that the village chief had prepared some food for us to show his appreciation for our visit.

Let's have a try...

This is not the first time that we have been offered food, but the unrelenting generosity of these villages never ceases to amaze me. I tried the rice and bean combination they prepared and presented--to not try it would have been an affront, and besides, it was very tasty! This region uses a lot of hot red pepper in their dishes which suits me just fine.

It's good!
So far my stomach has not objected either, which is a great relief. Later for dinner we went to a fast food place called Twinkles where I had semo, veggie soup, and fried plantains... yum. To clear away a short bout of grumpiness mixed with homesickness, I broke into the bag of Reece's Pieces i brought from home. It remained unopened for 10 days, but now that the bag is open, all bets are off. I'm positive Reece's are part of a good rehydration scheme.

In other news, I met with an Emir this morning and was assigned one of his Royal men to guide and accompany us to the villages. I can't say i am accustomed to this work, but this is a pretty typical field day on this mission.


No comments:

Post a Comment