Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Made it here just fine

I arrived in Kigali on Sunday evening, around 7:45pm local time. My flight from Atlanta Saturday night was delayed just over an hour (apparently to load bags), which made for some nervousness about making my connection in Brussels the next morning--luckily for me, the Brussels to Kigali flight was also delayed about 1 hour (again to load bags). All the bag moving paid off as both my checked bags made the same trip I had.

My colleague and a driver were waiting for me at the airport. It was funny to adjust to it being so dark so early (in Atlanta right now it's light out practically to 9:30pm), but being so close to the equator here (just about 2 degrees south) the days are pretty much exactly 12 hours long, 6am to 6pm. I think that's helped with my adjustment and jet lag; I don't seem to really know what time it is, but if it's a certain light quality outside then i just go with that. For example, not normally being a morning person, somehow 6:15 looked okay, and I managed to be out of the apartment this morning by 7am to walk to work with my flat-mate (who is a early-riser and very understanding person).

On our walk in, we passed and were joined by many school children in uniforms. Like kids everywhere, they were hilarious to watch interact. They were racing each other, joking, curious about us and willing to let me practice a little bit of French with them.

Well, it's the official start of my work day now, so best get to it. More later, especially as we figure out how to get WiFi in our apartment. And yes, I am taking pictures and will try to take even more each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment